Help centre

I need to ...

Something else?

Frequently asked questions:

How do I make a request under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act?

Make a request under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act on National Highways' website.

Read about the FOI Act and how to make a request on the GOV.UK website.

Check our previous releases to see if we’ve already answered your question.

You can report litter on our roads, as well as other maintenance issues. You'll need to identify the location of the problem - or let our system use the location of your device. Find out more about litter on motorways and major A roads.

Find out how to register to use the Electronic Service Delivery for Abnormal Loads (ESDAL) to notify authorities if you plan to transport very large items by road; or what to do if you're not registered to use ESDAL. Abnormal loads and the ESDAL system.

For property enquiries relating to roads managed by us, read our advice on land and property ownership.

Apply for compensation if the value of your property goes down because of pollution or disturbance from the use of a new or altered road. Learn more about making a claim

Find out how we set and manage variable speed limits (VSL) to look after your safety and to improve traffic flow on our roads. Learn more on our variable speed limits guidance page.

There are technical approval processes you'll need to go through. It's important you contact us early to work out what's required. Learn more about working on over or near our land.

The WebTRIS service is currently expected to be interrupted in early 2025 to enable changes to its underlying infrastructure.

Visit our WebTRIS service interruption page for more details.

Highways - the National Highways chatbot

Highways is designed to answer questions on a range of topics we know you are interested in. This includes information on road closures and traffic conditions, reporting issues, Dart Charge, CCTV, claiming compensation, recruitment, statutory vehicle removal and speed enforcement.

Ask Highways a question now!

Follow us on social media


We share live travel updates, important safety information and much more on our social media channels.

Find a channel that works for you

What’s happening near me?

Find out about road projects, events and latest news in your region.

Contact us

If you haven’t found what you’re looking for here, our customer teams are available 24/7 to help:

Call: 0300 123 5000 


If you would like us to call you, please include your telephone number within your email.


National Highways
National Traffic Operations Centre
3 Ridgeway
Quinton Business Park
Birmingham      B32 1AF

Other helpful information

Media enquiries

If you have a media enquiry or a documentary bid please get in touch.


If you have any concerns about the actions of National Highways or its people, please contact the independent Speak-Out facility. This is hosted by the specialist whistleblowing provider OneTrust.

Telephone: 0808 189 1053 (24 hours)

Our offices

Contact details and opening times for our main offices.

Our registered office

National Highways, Bridge House, 1 Walnut Tree Close, Guildford GU1 4LZ

Registered in England and Wales No. 9346363 United Kingdom

Making a difference for you

We’re listening to the people who rely on our roads, making sure that the feelings and experiences of those affected by our work shape the things we do.

Find out more