Land and property ownership

Enquiries about land and property owned by National Highways.

This advice is for land and property enquiries relating to roads managed by National Highways.

Our land, including the carriageway, verges, landscaping plots, retaining walls, embankments, is not for sale or to rent. 

Land that we and other government departments have available for sale or to rent is listed on the Government Property Finder on GOV.UK.

HM Land Registry is a government department responsible for the registration of land in England and Wales. Once land is registered, HM Land Registry maintains the registered title, recording any land dealings affecting it, including new charges, restrictions and covenants. HM Land Registry charge fees for some services – search for property information from HM Land Registry on GOV.UK.

For other enquiries about land and property ownership, contact