M3 junction 9 improvements
We’re proposing to change junction 9, so it has free-flowing links between the M3 and the A34 in both directions
The M3 connects south Hampshire with London, the Midlands and the North.
Traffic levels are heavy at junction 9 between the M3 and A34, resulting in lengthy queues on the northbound off-slip of the M3 and A272 Spitfire Link, affecting journey times and road safety.
We’re proposing to change the junction so that it has free-flowing links between the M3 and the A34 in both directions.
Our proposals would also see the junction widened and two new bridges build on the gyratory, allowing the M3 to increase from 3 lanes to 4 as it passes through the junction.
We’ll also extended the southbound slip onto the M3 so traffic has more time to join the motorway and improve the safety of the junction with upgraded signs and gantries.
Walker, cyclists and horse-riders will also benefit from our scheme with non-motorised routes connecting Kings Worthy and Winnall and Long Walk and Easton Lane.
Find out more in our information portal
Our scheme will
- Improve safety, journey times and air quality
- Reduce congestion and noise levels
- Provide better routes for walkers, cyclists and horse riders
- Increase road capacity and support economic growth
Our improvements will provide a safer and more integrated network, bringing real benefits to people who use this junction daily.
We hosted a series of webinars in June 2021. Below are links to the recordings:
- Webinar 1 – Introduction to the Proposed Scheme and Next Steps
- Webinar 2 – Our Proposals: What we are planning to do
- Webinar 3 – Our Effect on the Environment: An Overview
- Webinar 4 – Our Effect on the Environment: Landscape, Habitats and Wildlife
- Webinar 5 – Our Effect on the Environment: Air Quality and Noise
If the subtitles do not automatically appear when you open the video, you can click on the 'Settings' icon (in the bottom right corner of the You-tube video screen), click on 'Subtitles', then select 'English.
M3 junction 9 improvements - public consultation summary report
Consultation Brochure (2019)
Response Questionnaire (2019)
Statement of Community Consultation (2019)
Indicative Assessment of Scheme
Scheme Assessment Report - Appendices A-E
Scheme Assessment Report - Appendices F-H
Stage 2 Scheme Assessment Report
Proposed Scheme Drawing
Scheme Context Plan