This is where we share resources and information about health, safety and wellbeing to support our workers and suppliers to ensure that everyone gets home safe and well. See 'Home Safe and Well - Our approach to heath, safety and wellbeing'.
We need your input too and want you to share your experiences with us, providing examples of best practice and lessons learned. This information will help us to create a bank of knowledge and experience that can be shared across our supplier community to improve health safety and wellbeing for all.
Our corporate Home Safe and Well aim is:
“No one should be harmed when travelling or working on the strategic road network"
You'll find a wide range of information to help you to stay up to date with the latest advice, ideas and initiatives, including National Highways Health and Safety Alerts.
Cyber security for our strategic road network - July 2023
As our strategic road network becomes increasingly reliant on digital connectivity for its operations, cyber security becomes ever more critical to ensure the safety and efficiency of our transport infrastructure.
Read the full article: Cyber security for our strategic road network
Use the safety moment generator to create a topic for your discussion on health and safety, and give us your safety moment ideas.Create safety moment
Blue Star Awards are our opportunity to recognise companies, teams and individual who have:
- delivered benefits for Health, Safety or Wellbeing through innovation
- shared that knowledge, method or product improve Health, Safety and Wellbeing across our sector
To nominate a brilliant idea that’s made a real difference to Health, Safety or Wellbeing email BlueStarAwards@nationalhighways.co.uk.
Make sure you include:
- a case study
- any additional supporting evidence
Your nomination will go forward to our Safety Panel, which includes representatives from across our organisation and supply chain.
Our Safety Panel will consider your nomination against six criteria:
Why did you bring this solution to your business? Does it link to one of your Key Performance Indicators or a particular issue or challenge you have?
Is your nomination about a product, equipment or a new way of working? Is it something that has never been seen before? Maybe it’s a new way of applying an existing method or product? How is it innovative?
Raising the bar
Does your solution apply to one of the Raising the Bar categories?
What you did
Was your approach structured? Who was involved in identifying your solution? What did you actually do to deliver the Health, Safety and Wellbeing benefits?
What is the extent of Health, Safety and Wellbeing benefits? Are there other benefits such as CO2 emissions, sustainability, time saved?
Can this solution be applied on other projects? How easy is it for others to implement?
These descriptions give you an idea of the sort of information you need to supply. They're not definitive.
If we need more information, we’ll invite you to come and discuss your submission at the next panel meeting
Good Luck. We look forward to receiving your nominations.
Learn more about the Blue Star Award Process.
The Supply Chain Maturity Matrix (SCMM) helps organisations:
- demonstrate safety cultural maturity
- describe their progress toward safety excellence
Completing the Matrix is an existing contractual agreement under Annex 15 - Health and Safety Scope.
Follow this link to complete the Supply Chain Maturity Matrix.
An archive of all our case studies:
- A63 Castle Street - vehicle restraint system P1 terminal location safety in design observation - July to September 2023
- Permit to break ground - July 2023 (PDF)
- Occupational health dust campaign - June 2023 (PDF)
- Eliminating harm case study - Remote acoustic monitoring - April 2023 (PDF)
- A63 Castle St – Diaphragm Wall Cable Break - June 2023 (PDF)
- M60 Simister Island - December 2022 (PDF)
- Pedestrian site access - February 2023 (PDF)
- Suicide prevention in the construction industry - November 2022 (PDF)
- Highways common induction (Highways Passport) - October 2022 (PDF)
- Bridge strike: material deliveries - September 2022 (PDF)
- Collision and impact – hit by falling object - September 2022 (PDF)
- Verge and central reserve treatments: avoiding animals on the network - September 2022 (PDF)
- Health and wellbeing: carpal tunnel syndrome in the office and site environment - September 2022 (PDF)
- Working at height: maintenance of technology - September 2022 (PDF)
- Temporary narrow lane running: designing for existing infrastructure - September 2022 (PDF)
- Manual handling, slips and trips: revetment finishes - September 2022 (PDF)
- Impact with moving vehicle: positioning of assets - September 2022 (PDF)
- Manual handling: low-level retaining structures - September 2022 (PDF)
- Eliminating harm - using ground penetrating radar to identify utilities - July 2022 (PDF)
- Electric fence safety - June 2022 (PDF)
- Driver safety strategy - June 2022 (PDF)
- A66 drone survey - March 2022 (PDF)
- A63 pedestrian management - March 2022 (PDF)
- A63 Castle Street - working platform awareness - March 2022 (PDF)
- NH Passport - March 2022 (PDF)
- Working platform safety - March 2022 (PDF)
- Bridge abutment buildability - February 2022 (PDF)
- Bridge abutment foundations - February 2022 (PDF)
- Offline bridge construction - February 2022 (PDF)
- Binny bin - February 2022 (PDF)
- Permit to dig monitoring - February 2022 (PDF)
- Red cards - December 2021 (PDF)
- A64 – GIS feasibility - December 2021 (PDF)
- Event investigation - December 2021 (PDF)
- Safety in design - October 2021 (PDF)
- Utility damage prevention - July 2021 (PDF)
- Roller brake failure - June 2021 (PDF)
- Overturned tipper wagon – October 2020 (PDF)