A11 Fiveways roundabout to Red Lodge safety improvements
To reduce the number of accidents and improve safety, we are proposing to close up gaps in the central reservation and extend the barrier in key locations between the Fiveways Roundabout at Barton Mills and Red Lodge on the A11 in Suffolk.
Our statistics show that the A11 in Suffolk between Red Lodge and Fiveways roundabout is a high-risk location for collisions. Most of these occur at or near the junctions of Newmarket Road North, Herringswell Road, and Golf Links Road.
To reduce the number of accidents and improve safety, we propose to make the following changes to the road:
- closing three right-turn gaps in the central reservation barrier on the A11 at Newmarket Road North, Herringswell Road and Golf Links Road (Newmarket Road South)
- extending the central reservation barrier at Park Farm Drive
- improving and extending the safety barrier along the northbound and southbound verges to protect against roadside hazards
- replacing, improving, or modify existing road markings
- improving signs at these locations, including the 40mph speed limit signs south of Fiveways Roundabout.
The central reservation gaps we propose to close are shown in this diagram:
The number of collisions will fall, and we will improve safety on this stretch of the A11.