National Highways installing new safety barriers on M6
05 Jan 2023
New safety barriers are being installed along a stretch of the M6 in Staffordshire to help protect drivers using the busy motorway.
Share this article
The carriageway will also be resurfaced along the stretch, between junctions 15 and 16 near Stoke-on-Trent, meaning smoother journeys for drivers.
The scheme gets under way on Monday 16 January and is due to be completed in June. To minimise impact on motorists, the work will be carried out with three narrow lanes running in both directions.
National Highways Project Manager, Patricia Dray, said:
“The existing bridge parapets and adjacent barrier have reached the end of their serviceable life and need to be replaced to maintain safety for people using our roads.
“We’re also taking this opportunity to carry out some resurfacing which will help keep traffic running smoothly and safely along the M6.
“We appreciate there will be some disruption for drivers and those living nearby but will make every effort to manage noise levels and minimise the impacts of this essential safety work where possible.”
Before the narrow lanes can be installed some urgent repairs are needed on the carriageway. To carry out that work, the northbound carriageway will be closed overnight between junctions 15 and 16 from 9pm to 6am this weekend (Friday 6 to Sunday 8 January) and on Tuesday 10 January.
Though the majority of the work can then be carried out with the narrow lanes in place, some further road closures will be necessary for resurfacing and to install or remove traffic management.
Closures during the rest of the scheme, taking place between 8pm and 6am, are planned for the following dates:
- 16 January to 21 January – M6 northbound closed from junction 15 to 16
- 23 January to 28 January – southbound closed from junction 16 to 15
- 30 January to 4 February – southbound closed from junction 16 to 15
- 6 February to 11 February – southbound closed from junction 17 to 15
- 13 February to 18 February – northbound closed from junction 15 to 16
- 20 February to 25 February – northbound closed from junction 15 to 16
- 10 May to 16 May – northbound closed from junction 15 to 16
- 16 June to 22 June – southbound closed from junction 17 to 15
Clearly signed diversion routes will be in place during the closures.
Further information is available from National Highways by visiting our website at www.trafficengland.com and Twitter updates are also available at @HighwaysWMIDS. For urgent real-time assistance, our 24/7 contact centre team is able to provide up-to-the minute information on 0300 123 5000.