A533 (M56) Expressway bridge replacement
We’re replacing the existing bridge that carries the A533 Chester Road over the M56.
The M56/A533 Expressway Bridge is a concrete bridge that carries the Chester Road combined with the A533 over the M56 motorway. The bridge is located between junctions 11 and 12 and is a vital local link, providing access across the M56 to Runcorn from Preston Brook and Northwich.
We plan to replace the existing structure with a new 67m two-span concrete bridge, consisting of a single two-lane carriageway and a combined footpath/cycleway. The replacement of this bridge will ensure an increased life span of over 120 years for road users, maintaining safety in the long term.
A substantial part of the project will be built off site to minimise disruption and we’ll keep the existing bridge open whilst we construct the new bridge. On completion, traffic will be transferred to the new structure to continue the flow of traffic and allow for the demolition of the existing bridge structure.
The existing structure has reached the end of its serviceable life and therefore needs to be replaced to maintain and improve this important link for motorists, pedestrians, horse riders and cyclists.
The aims of the scheme are to:
- design and build a replacement of the A533 Expressway Bridge
- demolish and remove the existing A533 Expressway Bridge structure
- reinstate the M56 motorway to its original state prior to implementation of the A533 Expressway Bridge propping scheme
- ensure road users and the community are not adversely affected
- improve accessibility for cyclists, walkers and other vulnerable road users of the local road network
M56 westbound between junctions 11 and 12
M56 eastbound between junctions 12 and 11
A533 Overbridge westbound closure
A533 Overbridge eastbound closure