The M3 connects south Hampshire with London, the Midlands and the North.
The M3 junction 9 experiences significant delays that impact on journey times and the safety of road users. Traffic levels are heavy, especially between the M3 and the A34. More than 6,000 vehicles pass through junction 9 every hour during peak periods. Lengthy queues are common on the northbound off-slip of the M3, the A272 Spitfire Link and Easton Lane.
We’re working to change the junction so that it has free-flowing links between the M3 and the A34 in both directions, as well as:
- improve safety at the junction
- reduce congestion, improving journey times
- provide enhanced options for walkers, cyclists and horse riders
- increase road capacity and support economic growth
- reduce the number of people affected by noise and improve air quality
Our improvements will provide a safer and more integrated network, bringing real benefits to people who use this junction daily.