A47 Thickthorn junction
This scheme will improve the junction between the A47 and the A11 by adding 2 new connections to ease congestion in the area.
The A47/A11 Thickthorn junction is important for commuter, business and commercial traffic, on both short and long-distance journeys.
Approximately 3,000 new residential dwellings are potentially planned near the junction, along with commercial business units. This local growth is likely to increase congestion on the junction and the roads that feed into it.
The project will help relieve congestion at Thickthorn junction by providing two new free-flowing slip roads that will connect the A47 with the A11. The new slip roads will re-route traffic away from the junction and flow it under new underpasses.
We’ll also remove the existing footbridge over the A47 and provide a new footbridge for walkers, cyclists and horse riders.
Our revised layout that we intend to submit for planning approval includes:
- a single-lane free-flowing link road connecting the A11 northbound to A47 eastbound via two underpasses (under the A11 and A47 respectively)
- improvements to the junction:
- widening the existing slip road on the A47 westbound and building a dedicated left-hand free flow lane to the A11 southbound.
- widening the southern section of the roundabout from three lanes to four
- new traffic lights on the approach to / from the junction with the B1172 Norwich Road
- new road surface, new road signs and road markings throughout the junction.
- removal of the Cantley Lane South direct connections between the A11 and A47 exit slip roads
- a new link road connecting Cantley Lane South with the B1172 Norwich Road to the north and construction of two new bridges. The new link road it will have a 40mph speed limit
- from the Thickthorn junction to Hethersett, a 40mph speed limit on the B1172 Norwich Road and a new junction connecting to Cantley Lane Link road.
- a 30mph speed limit on Cantley Lane South
- a new junction connecting Cantley Lane South to Cantley Lane link road
- the existing Cantley Lane stream and access track will be realigned and one new stream culvert constructed
- a new footbridge over the A47 for walkers, cyclists and horse riders approximately 45m east of the existing footbridge (which will be demolished). The footbridge will have higher railings to help improve safety for horse riders
- paths for walking and cycling proposed along the new Cantley Lane link road giving access to local amenities and links to other recreational routes
- access to the Park and Ride from the Cantley Lane link road for walkers and cyclists
These improvements to the junction aim to:
- improve road safety for motorists and for those living near the junction
- reduce congestion, make journey times more reliable, and increase capacity for future traffic growth
- Help the road cope better if there are vehicle collisions or breakdowns, and during road maintenance
- Help support regional housing and economic growth in Norwich and the surrounding areas
- help protect the environment by minimising adverse impacts and, where possible, deliver benefits
- consider local communities and their access to the roads
- provide a safer route between communities for cyclists, walkers, horse riders and other non-motorist groups
Scheme design map - July 2020
A47 Thickthorn Scheme Assessment Report
A47 Thickthorn Scheme Assessment Report Appendix Part 1
A47 Thickthorn Scheme Assessment Report Appendix Part 2
A47 Thickthorn Scheme Assessment Report Appendix Part 3
Statutory Consultation Brochure (2019)
Statutory Consultation Response Form (2019)
Preliminary Environmental Information Report - Part 1 - Pages 1 - 69
Preliminary Environmental Information Report - Part 2 - Pages 70 - 140
Preliminary Environmental Information Report - Part 3 - Pages 141 - 148
Preliminary Environmental Information Report Non-Technical Summary
Proposed Scheme Plan
Section 47 Notice
Section 48 Notice
Side Road Strategy Options Report - Part 1
Side Road Strategy Options Report - Part 2 (Appendix A)
Side Road Strategy Options Report - Part 3 (Appendix B,C,D)
Side Road Strategy Options Report - Part 4 (Appendix E,F)
Statement of Community Consultation (SoCC)