We're lifting roadworks for the festive getaway
15 Dec 2023
Share this article
We'll be working round the clock to remove more than 1,000 miles of roadworks ahead of the festive getaway this year.
This means more than 98 per cent of motorways and major A roads will be roadworks-free in time for those making journeys over the Christmas period.
To help minimise disruption, most roadworks will be removed from England’s motorway and major A-road network from 6am on Tuesday 19 December until 12.01am on Tuesday 2 January.
Notable routes to benefit from roadworks being lifted for the festive period include:
- The A3 in Hindhead with more than nine miles of roadworks completed ahead of the festive getaway
- The M27 between junctions 2 and 3 (near Southampton) with more than 13 miles of roadworks completed before Christmas
- The M4 between junctions 13 and 12 (near Newbury) with more than 27 miles of roadworks removed for drivers
- The A1 from A47 Wansford to Stibbington (near Peterborough) with five miles of roadworks lifted
- The M1 between junctions 21 to 22 (near Leicester) will have five miles of roadworks lifted to help motorists enjoy hassle-free journeys.
Travelling over winter
With much of the country recently experiencing sub-zero temperatures, please take care when driving in poor weather. Remember to give our gritters space to work so they can keep roads safe for you.
If you're travelling over winter and the festive season, follow our T.R.I.P. guidance before you set off.
Our travelling in winter page will help make your journeys as smooth and safe as possible.