Dartford – Thurrock maintenance work
Originally designed to carry 135,000 vehicles a day, more than 180,000 vehicles now use the crossing every day.
The A282 Dartford Crossing is currently the only way to cross the Thames east of London by road, linking Essex and Kent via the 2.87km-long QEII bridge (southbound) and two 1.4km-long tunnels (northbound). The A282 also connects directly at both ends with the M25 London Orbital Motorway, one of the busiest motorways in Europe.
• replacing the tunnel bearings which sit below the carriageways to take up movement
• upgrading the tunnels CCTV cameras
• repairing the concrete tunnel walkways that are used by our maintenance teams
• replacing the panels which form the tunnel linings
• repairing the tunnel lighting
• carrying out maintenance to the ventilation, electrical and drainage systems
• carrying out maintenance to the QEII bridge pylons, cable stays and dampers
• replacing expansion joints on the viaduct at the tunnels exits
Additional work will also include:
• replacing areas of corroded steelwork
• refurbishment and repairs to the facias and coping stones on either side of the tunnel entry ramps
• waterproofing works
• tile repairs
We’ll be working overnight to keep disruption to a minimum and we’ve planned our work in a way that will enable multiple schemes to run concurrently each night, significantly reducing the length of our overall programme.