National Highways needs to be able to access information for as long as it is needed . Information must be stored on a medium that remains accessible and available.
The Supplier (at any stage of remoteness to the Client) manages the relevant information through the entire information lifecycle on behalf of National Highways. The information remains accessible to National Highways regardless of the technology or software it is stored on.
National Highways must be able to open, read and use information even when the original software (and sometimes hardware) is no longer available. Information may need to be migrated or emulated to keep it available for use.
To make digital information accessible, the Supplier (at any stage of remoteness to the Client) in managing National Highways information must:
- maintain a list of all software in use or which has been used, together with licence details and versions used
- agree the format / software / hardware and any licensing arrangements with National Highways
- maintain a list of file extensions and their associated software
- maintain details of any encryption keys or passwords used
- maintain any digital signatures obtained from third-party signatories to contracts or agreements
- check any removable media storage every three years that they are still in use
- migrate data to a new storage medium when needed
- emulate the information when the software used to open it is no longer available
- contact any third-party copyright owner when migrating data to a new medium
The Supplier (at any stage of remoteness to the Client) in managing National Highways information migrates or emulates data and information must make a full audit of the work undertaken. The audit contains:
- details of original software and file extensions used
- the date the information was moved, migrated or copied
- who did the work
- any issues associated with the transfer
- confirmation that the information is still accessible
- details of any relationships the information has with other information held