A27 Worthing and Lancing improvements
One of a package of schemes to reduce congestion along the South Coast.
The A27 is the only east to west trunk road south of the M25, linking key coastal communities between Portsmouth and Eastbourne and with the rest of the regional strategic road network (SRN). It serves a population of over 750,000 people and a large number of businesses in the major towns and cities along the route, including Worthing and Lancing.
This stretch of the A27 between Worthing and Lancing suffers from traffic congestion which causes delays to journey times, road accidents and pollution.
There is a significant amount of development planned in the area in the future and, without improvements, traffic congestion, road accidents and pollution are likely to increase.
Our proposed improvements could begin in 2025 and be completed by 2027.
Our scheme objectives are:
- Improve road safety for everyone on the A27 and local road network in the Worthing and Lancing areas
- Reduce delays and improve reliability
- Create facilities for other travel modes such as walking and cycling alongside and crossing the A27
- Make sure potential future improvements to transport in the Worthing and Lancing area can still happen
- Wherever possible, seek to enhance the local environment and biodiversity