Health and safety policy
Our safety imperative can be summed up simply: we want everyone who works with us and everyone who travels on our network to get home safe and well.
Our aim is that no one will be harmed when working or travelling on the strategic road network by 2040.
We are reducing work related injuries and ill health by identifying, assessing and managing our safety risks, and will do this until all injuries and health effects are eliminated. We do this through our health and safety management system that will continually adapt to our changing environment to provide up-to-date, robust and effective controls that are used by our people.
We will develop an engaged, informed and competent workforce, so our people are empowered to take personal responsibility and to make the right decisions at the right time.
Home safe and well
The development of our positive health, safety and wellbeing culture is supported by our Home Safe and Well approach which contains improvement plans on the following themes:
- Effective leadership
- Capable people
- Clear expectations
- Engaged stakeholders
- A learning organisation
- Health, safety and wellbeing by design
We will also continue to:
- make the management of health, safety and wellbeing a responsibility of everyone in our organisation and set clear expectations on roles and responsibilities
- ensure all our people are skilled and competent in their work and provide them with the right training, information, instructions and supervision
- empower our people to positively challenge and intervene on any aspect of health, safety and wellbeing
- provide and maintain a safe and healthy workplace
- fulfil our legal requirements and statutory duties
- consult with our people and trade unions
- set and review objectives for those working for us or on our behalf
- instill a fair and just culture
- measure and benchmark health and safety performance and employee engagement to support continual improvement